Finished drilling out the spot welds for the l/s trunk floor & started the removal process. The cutoff wheel & the air chisel are comming in handy for this part of the sheet metal replacement. Hopefully a few more hours in the garage & I will have the old l/s trunk floor removed & be able to test fit the replacement piece. Once I get the old piece out I will get Jeff to post a couple pics for me here.
Thanks for the kind words Bruce, today I got 98% of the l/s trunk floor out except for the lower rear section of the trunk floor drop off where it welds up to the lower quarter panel & to the panel that runs under the tail light panel. I should get the rest of the trunk floor drop off piece out tomorrow as I am off from work & can spend a couple more hours in the garage. Then comes the test fit for the new trunk floor piece. Once the new l/s trunk floor piece is welded in then I can weld in the new tail light panel. I should be able to get some pics up tomorrow or the next day.
Looking at your photos where the trunk floor is out. I know we talked about you doing a size for size patch.It's hard to make out fully but It appears you have the drivers side rear of the car supported by a jack stand on the rearend. Make sure you move that before you start cutting the rear rail for the patch,I would move that stand to under the front spring attaching point(torque box) or the rocker panel area.Right now supporting it that way is making that section very load bearing and if you start cutting the rear rail there is a good chance it can twist,buckle,bend,etc. I just wanted to give you a heads up.If you've already thought of this or I'm viewing the photo wrong please disregard.
Thanks for the heads up on that Malcolm, the jack stands are supporting the rear of the car by the rear end housing. I will move them before & start cutting the frame for the patch. Thanks again.
Sean, I hope so. The plan is to have it painted bright yellow with the black hood stripe from a 1970 Mach-1, front & rear spoilers, the Mach-1 interior in black with a console. Engine will be a stroked 302 to 347 with a 5 speed, & 3.55 rear gears, & dual exhaust. I will completely rewire the whole car with a new harness kit from American auto wire. I am hoping to have the body done by later next year. The sheet metal work I have left to do is the outer wheel houses in the rear both sides, both sides rear quarter skins, new door skin r/s, new l/s door, l/s full floor, front inner fender panels & radiator support.
This morning I cut the replacement piece for the rotted spot in the l/s rear frame rail from a repo piece & fitted it. It took alot of grinding & fitting, & alot more grinding. It fits very well now. Monday I will break out the welder & weld the repair piece into the frame & then I will seal the inside of the frame rail before I weld on the l/s trunk floor. I will take some pics then & have them posted.
Well finally got the welder out & welded in the patch piece for the l/s rear frame rail. Looks good, I took a pic of the repair & will get it posted up soon. Next I have to replace the rear gas tank support piece & then weld in the l/s trunk floor.
New update, today we are on the 3rd day of lake effect snow & just happened to be off from work so after cleaning the driveway I spent a couple hours on the Coupe. Drilled out spot welds holding the gas tank rear support to the trunk floor & the trunk floor drop off on the r/s & to the ends of both frame rails & with the use of a sawzall & a hammer & chisel got it removed. I set the gas tank in place & installed the screws & then test fitted the new gas tank rear support & screwed it in so everything is square. Test fitted the new tail light panel. So far all looks good as far as fit goes. I will remove everything & drill the holes in the rear gas tank support for the welds, coat the inside of the l/s rear frame rail & reinstall the gas tank & weld everything in. Nothing pic worthy yet. Once I start welding everything in I will take more pics to have posted.