Like Tree12Likes
  • 3 Post By FangStang
  • 4 Post By FangStang
  • 4 Post By FangStang
  • 1 Post By FangStang

Old 06-14-2015   #1

Liked: 169 times
FangStang's Pictures
FangStang's latest status update: Just purchased a Carjacket at carbag.com... sleeping bag for FANG this winter!
Default GO Caliper covers

Just "TRIED" my ten minute install of my new Grabber Orange caliper covers on my mustang...
Fronts went on in ten seconds! Faster than reading directions!
Backs are a whole different animal...

I had to remove the back wheels 4x to try to adjust the clips so that they wouldn't rub against the rotors...
Finally I went next door to my neighbor (a machinist by trade) and talked to him... He suggested turning down the rotors .040 to avoid them scraping the clips. Yes, I tried the stock rotors too...Both the aftermarket rotors and the stock rotors barely cleared the caliper carrier assembly. Wonder if it's just me, or does everyone else run into this crap???
Anyways... these are pics of the front and back with the calipers and the slotted/drilled rotors after installation... NO pics on car until rotors are turned... soon I hope!
Attached Thumbnails
GO Caliper covers-img_3581.jpg   GO Caliper covers-img_3582.jpg  
SVTCruz, ROUSH 4 and greaser54 like this.
Grabber Orange 2007 GT 5-sp...Fang Performance Twister Special package. , 3.55:1 Limited Slip, Shaker 500, Predator tuned, C&L 95mm CAI, Borla X-pipe and cat-back exhaust. Hurst Comp Plus short throw shifter, 18x9 Black Bullitts with Nitto tires, "Stop the Hop" suspension package, suspension package, Koni Struts and shocks, SR lowering springs, SR double adjustable panhard bar, SR rear shock tower brace, 28800 miles
FangStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015   #2
NYC Regional Coordinator

Liked: 281 times
NYM Trader: 6
MaximumRisk's Pictures
MaximumRisk's latest status update: sometimes i stop and ponder "is there more beyond awesome or is awesome as far as I am...
Default Re: GO Caliper covers

Is it possible to modify the rear cover instead of turning the rotor? Can you not grind some of the bracket off? By the way, Can you turn drilled rotors?

MaximumRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015   #3

FangStang's Pictures
FangStang's latest status update: Just purchased a Carjacket at carbag.com... sleeping bag for FANG this winter!

It is the clip that fits in between the rotors edge and the caliper "holder". Imagine looking at the rotor sideways and seeing the edges and the cooling vanes. It's almost the same if the rotor had too big of a diameter. Neighbor said it would be better to take off some of the rotors edge, than to grind away at the bracket. The slide pin for the caliper goes directly through that area of the bracket, and he was worried about compromising the integrity of the bracket during the movement of the caliper.
He won't be turning the drilled face of the rotor, just the edge. And there is plenty that can be shaved off (no holes drilled at the very edge).
Other way to modify mounting is to drill and tap a hole at top of the bracket, and bolt directly to the carrier. (next step if this doesn't work!
Thanks for ideas...

EDIT: If you blow up the pic of the rear rotor, you can see around the outside edge of the rotor the area the pad doesn't make contact with... He'll shave a little around the rotor to give me a little more room! (I HOPE!)
Grabber Orange 2007 GT 5-sp...Fang Performance Twister Special package. , 3.55:1 Limited Slip, Shaker 500, Predator tuned, C&L 95mm CAI, Borla X-pipe and cat-back exhaust. Hurst Comp Plus short throw shifter, 18x9 Black Bullitts with Nitto tires, "Stop the Hop" suspension package, suspension package, Koni Struts and shocks, SR lowering springs, SR double adjustable panhard bar, SR rear shock tower brace, 28800 miles
Old 06-15-2015   #4

Liked: 1019 times
NYM Trader: 8
On Edge's latest status update: Happy New Year everyone !! It's going to be a great year !!

Hmmmm....I'm trying to understand the situation.
I've installed a bunch of these caliper covers with stock and aftermarket rotors.
Shouldn't be any problems.
Sometimes, you might have to carefully and slightly bend the tig welded cover brackets to the right angle.
Other than that, I've never had a problem.

Any other pics ?
Old 06-15-2015   #5

Liked: 1019 times
NYM Trader: 8
On Edge's latest status update: Happy New Year everyone !! It's going to be a great year !!

Hmmmm....I'm trying to understand the situation.
I've installed a bunch of these caliper covers with stock and aftermarket rotors.
Shouldn't be any problems.
Sometimes, you might have to carefully and slightly bend the tig welded cover brackets to the right angle.
Other than that, I've never had a problem.

Any other pics ?
Old 06-15-2015   #6

FangStang's Pictures

Sprayed the brackets with a coat of High temp black paint. You can see the wear marks on the caliper carrier bracket where the edge of the rotor rubbed as it spins around. Third picture is where I filed the original scrape mark down with a file This is the only end of the four I filed. The other three I bent the clips to not make contact.. Compared the size of the two rotors (original and new) and they are the same...
Attached Thumbnails
GO Caliper covers-img_3583.jpg   GO Caliper covers-img_3584.jpg   GO Caliper covers-img_3585.jpg   GO Caliper covers-img_3587.jpg  
Old 06-16-2015   #7

FangStang's Pictures

Rotors were shaved down in diameter .050, and reinstalled with no scrapng issues!
Old 06-16-2015   #8

FangStang's Pictures

Here they are...
Attached Thumbnails
GO Caliper covers-img_3596.jpg   GO Caliper covers-img_3597.jpg   GO Caliper covers-img_3598.jpg  
Old 06-16-2015   #9
Multimedia NYM

Cool Re: GO Caliper covers

Looks sweet, nice work.................Gives a nice look to those wheels.
Old 06-16-2015   #10
Super Moderator

Liked: 1129 times
ford20's Pictures ford20's Garage
ford20's latest status update: 6 more days until a GT350 is revealed. There is so much want for that car.

Looking good!! Just keep an eye on the rotors for micro cracks by the drilled holes.

ford20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015   #11

FangStang's Pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROUSH 4 View Post
Looks sweet, nice work.................Gives a nice look to those wheels.
Thanks!
Posted via NYM Mobile
ROUSH 4 likes this.
Old 06-17-2015   #12

FangStang's Pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford20 View Post
Looking good!! Just keep an eye on the rotors for micro cracks by the drilled holes.
Will do...kept the original rotors...just in case
Posted via NYM Mobile