New York Mustang Club

New York Mustangs - Forums » Mustang Specific Tech » Classic Mustangs » 1969 Coupe 302 manual recently acquired

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By cjandrle
  • 1 Post By mabcim

Old 01-11-2017   #1

Liked: 2 times
cjandrle's Pictures
Default 1969 Coupe 302 manual recently acquired

After many years of searching, I recently acquired a 1969 Mustang coupe, 3-speed manual, 302 V8 in reasonably good condition which I plan to restore to driveable condition.

The previous owner put Hooker Headers on the car and had a dual exhaust installed. The car also has a Weiand intake and a Ford 4 Barrel carburetor and some sort of performance air cleaner assembly. Also racing tires and chrome wheels.

I don't mind the performance improvements but would prefer to keep the car closer to stock. Will these changes make it more difficult to tune and maintain the car? How can I quiet it down? I've already had a suggestion to leave the intake and carburetor as is and just replace the flow-through mufflers with standard.
cjandrle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017   #2

Liked: 357 times
adkmach1's Pictures adkmach1's Garage
adkmach1's latest status update: Adirondack Nationals this weekend in Lake George
Default Re: 1969 Coupe 302 manual recently acquired

Change the mufflers is where I'll would start. Tearing the headers off and replacing the with stock exhaust will be a pain in the... Leave the intake and carb
adkmach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017   #3

Liked: 646 times
Mike65's Pictures Mike65's Garage
Mike65's latest status update: Getting ready to start rewiring the 69 Coupe.

X2 I would do what adkmach1 stated. Welcome to NYM. Any pics of your 69 Coupe?.
1969 Coupe (project)
2008 Escape XLT (spare vehicle)
March 2014 MOTM winner
Mike65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017   #4

cjandrle's Pictures

Thanks very much for the advice. I just had the car shipped up from Louisiana, in the garage for now. I haven't really had a chance to look it over very carefully, but it looks like it is in surprisingly good condition, maybe even better than the one I drove 40 years ago. Hope to find space to work on it and get started later on this year. It's a coupe, manual, 302 V8, black interior. Identical to the first car I owned, except for the color and the lack of the fake hood scoop. At first I planned to repaint it green but the color (Indian Fire) is growing on me.

Mike65 and adkmach1 like this.
Old 01-24-2017   #5

cjandrle's Pictures

So I've never done any exhaust system work or welding. It looks like everything from the header flange back is all welded into one piece. I'm thinking of just cutting out the section that looks sort of like a streamlined muffler and clamping a regular muffler in place. Can I buy just any muffler? I know it has to be long enough to fill the gap I cut. Are the pipes all a standard diameter? I see that there are at least a couple of different kinds of clamps available.
Old 01-24-2017   #6

Liked: 357 times
adkmach1's Pictures adkmach1's Garage
adkmach1's latest status update: Adirondack Nationals this weekend in Lake George

All pipes aren't the same size, so your going have to fine the correct size. They make clamps that you can connect 2 cut pipes back together without flaring an end, which work really well. As for muffler that's your choice, depending on the sound you want. Good luck with your project.
adkmach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017   #7

Liked: 73 times
mabcim's Garage

Pick the muffler and have it in your hand before you cut.

Some muffler companies will have a muffler that is the same outer size, but can come with different sounds. You might want to try to find something like that in case you don't like the sounds you first pick; that way you can swap out the muffler more easily.

As adkmach1 said, there are plenty of clamp sizes (and styles out there). Band clamps are becoming popular because you can take it back apart easily. I plan to use those when I put my exhaust back on.
adkmach1 likes this.
Old 03-20-2017   #8

Liked: 22 times
Huskinhano's Pictures

Agreed, the intake isn't going to effect reliability. Headers, very slightly. Sometimes the gaskets leak but over all they should last a long time. Look into Walker Dynomax mufflers. They have a good reputation for making good power, being quiet but with a nice growl that isn't objectionable when you get on it. If you're not sure what size pipe you have, look at a clamp and see if it's marked. Or just go to a AP store and buy a couple different size clamps and see what fits before buying any mufflers.
Huskinhano is offline   Reply With Quote