New York Mustang Club

New York Mustangs - Forums » Non-specific Tech » General Tech » New NY emission testing

Like Tree5Likes

Old 07-17-2015   #16

Liked: 6 times
mustangmike01's latest status update: I'm back
Default Re: New NY emission testing

Guys I'm bring this back because I just heard bad news!!!! I just got my car inspected. no cel light all good. And I'm still using my old tune from 4 years ago no updates or anything. The shop/station dose not look over the car at all. I have been going there for years. But he just told me, next year for 2016 there coming out with a new software that looks to see if you're rear ox2 are off. If they are, you will fail even if you have no cel light on and that's the only thing turned off. Not shore if he's telling me stores or not. Has anybody heard of this new software coming out? If this is true. we are all f....
ROUSH 4 likes this.
01 laser red GT, custom built 03 cobra motor, ported heads with racing valve job, stage 4 eaton 18.5psi, plus all bolt ons, 6sp tremeic trany, b&m ripper 3:73 gear, only 504rwhp and 538rwqu Need a Whipple
mustangmike01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015   #17

Liked: 16 times
nysvt's Pictures nysvt's Garage
nysvt's latest status update: had my cobra tuned at pops racing Adam did a great job 630hp never stopped til perfect

Bottom line go to good tuner your not going to be able to fix or a correct tune with a hand held tuner. Mine is far from stock no cats and it passes every year
Old 10-12-2016   #18

Well I want to bring this back for anybody that wants to know.

I'm f...... They changed the rules for 2016 inspection. On all cars 98 and newer need to meet this. On top of plugging in to the ecu and checking for check engine lights like normal they check to make shore you're car vin and ecu vin match when they scan it. The whole point of this is to stop engine swaps and so on.

Well my emission inspection and all other inspection past but the dmv computer failed me due to my ecu and car vin do not match. My car is an 01 gt vin put the whole power train, wiring and ecu is a 03 cobra. It sounds like there is no way around this shit.

I wanted to give everybody an update on this. Plus the shop said every year they will go back early and early they told them in the inspection class. So I figure any car with a ecu plug will be part of this shit in the future.

If anybody knows more details about this or so one, add it. Plus I'm not up on all this dmv stuff, so maybe I can have the car as a historic vehicle or something I have no idea
01 laser red GT, custom built 03 cobra motor, ported heads with racing valve job, stage 4 eaton 18.5psi, plus all bolt ons, 6sp tremeic trany, b&m ripper 3:73 gear, only 504rwhp and 538rwqu Need a Whipple
Old 10-12-2016   #19

Liked: 124 times
mustangted's Pictures
mustangted's latest status update: not sure why I brother coming here, 99 prevent of posts have norhing to do with mustanfs

it wont qualify as histiorical until 2026
jricky917 likes this.
mustangted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016   #20
Multimedia NYM

Cool Re: New NY emission testing

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangmike01 View Post
Well I want to bring this back for anybody that wants to know.

I'm f...... They changed the rules for 2016 inspection. On all cars 98 and newer need to meet this. On top of plugging in to the ecu and checking for check engine lights like normal they check to make shore you're car vin and ecu vin match when they scan it. The whole point of this is to stop engine swaps and so on.

Well my emission inspection and all other inspection past but the dmv computer failed me due to my ecu and car vin do not match. My car is an 01 gt vin put the whole power train, wiring and ecu is a 03 cobra. It sounds like there is no way around this shit.

I wanted to give everybody an update on this. Plus the shop said every year they will go back early and early they told them in the inspection class. So I figure any car with a ecu plug will be part of this shit in the future.

If anybody knows more details about this or so one, add it. Plus I'm not up on all this dmv stuff, so maybe I can have the car as a historic vehicle or something I have no idea
Thank you for sharing this valuable information. This news is another attack on modifications to the automobile. Just awful.
Old 10-12-2016   #21

okay, i thought so.

Yes it is. It's getting bad here like California. And we all know CT and NJ will follow soon.

I got a call from the shop. Thy made a called, to call there rep/person at dmv, they said try it again and see if it fails again, they said it should work. If it dose fail again I have to get dmv involved and they will go through the car with a fine tooth comb.

The problem they do not get is, the car tune was tuned buy a tuner and as a 03 cobra back in 07.

I'll call a ford dealer and ask them can they change a vin with the ecu and if they say yes I can do that, then flash my tune back on it. I will keep everybody updated as I move forwarded on this.

The only reason I'm thinking this is, I have a built 06 sti and the ecu failed. I got a new ecu and the dealer flashed it with the keys and vin matching then they added the tune to the new ecu. It was done 4 years ago and I pass inspection with my sti 4 months ago, with no problems. but that's the same ecu made for that car. So I do not know.
ROUSH 4 likes this.
Old 10-13-2016   #22

mustangted's Pictures
mustangted's latest status update: not sure why I brother coming here, 99 prevent of posts have norhing to do with mustanfs

it being done to stop inspecting one car and hooking computer to another car
jricky917 likes this.
Old 07-10-2017   #23

never mind got it to pass. DMV are all a***** they have no idea what they are doing. After wasting time at DMV and hours on the phone I got a person that new what they were doing. You can have a different vin from the vin on the car to the PCM. They had it on file that they have seen I have different vins on my car since back in 06.

If somebody has this problem this is what you need to do. Go to a inspection station first thing. why because the software only give that business 5 tries a day for different vins. once they hit that you will not pass. Next, the inspection station do not know about this either. once it is time to plug into the ob2 port plug it in and start the car like normal, there screen will say vins do not match "stop" it says. just hit okay a couple of time. then turn off the car and unplug it. it okay again then replug it in and restart the car. The second time it is to conform that the vins are different. Then it will check the monitors. All eight have to be on to pass the new rules. once it dose that and it's happy it prints out the sticker. DMV keeps the different vin on file but they can't add it to your car info so there software would let it go through fine. I will always have to do my inspections like this or anybody that has this problem. Hope this helps people with this problem.

and you can get it to pass with all eight monitors on even if you have taken emission stuff off the car. pm if u want to know how.
Old 07-10-2017   #24

Liked: 126 times
FoxRob's Pictures FoxRob's Garage
FoxRob's latest status update: Not used to having off on Sundays, what to do since I cannot drive my Mustang...need to...

I'm not sure about Ford ECUs and theft alarms, but I know with Chrysler's we can update the VIN in the ECU to match the car, also have to do that to get the theft alarm system to work properly.

93 LX Hatch all stock with a couple of well placed bolt on's. Fun Ford Weekend @ The Rock 12.0 winner in True Street with a average time of 12.5. RMR# 4385
FoxRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017   #25

mustangted's Pictures

inspection done above will get the shop an unwanted vist from a dmv inspector
Old 07-11-2017   #26

All info I was getting from ford and calling around says you can't change them once there in the car. my option to get the vins to match is have ford build a new pcm with my vin in it. And yes my path is off so, meaning the chip in the keys do not talk to the pcm.

well it mite but I have no idea why, dmv told me it's 100% fine and they know with my car its not anything illegal going on. They said they would check it out every year but once it goes to the tech department they will see it's been like that since 06 and the two vins are still the same.