New York Mustang Club

New York Mustangs - Forums » Non-specific Tech » General Tech » New NY emission testing

Like Tree5Likes

Old 02-05-2014   #1

Liked: 6 times
mustangmike01's latest status update: I'm back
Default New NY emission testing

I just hard they changed all the emission testing machines in NYS on dec 1, 2013 and there a lot smarter. If you have anything turned off you will get a NA and fail. Normally if you do not have a check engine light on and drive 200 miles you're going to pass.

I just got my sti inspected and it passed fine, even though the rear o2 is off do to no cat. But I just got a new tune in November with the latest Cobb updates.

My problems is I'm worried about my mustang. It has the sct2 and tuned by Chrissk 3 years ago with rear o2s off and he turned off the fuel float talking to the ecu, do to a check engine light on do to there not talking right to one another.

Can I get any updates from SCT myself that will not mess up Chris's specs or do I have to get the car retuned by somebody?

Has anybody heard of the new testing and has more info on it or have gone through it yet, with an old tune?

thanks guys
Johns65 likes this.
01 laser red GT, custom built 03 cobra motor, ported heads with racing valve job, stage 4 eaton 18.5psi, plus all bolt ons, 6sp tremeic trany, b&m ripper 3:73 gear, only 504rwhp and 538rwqu Need a Whipple
mustangmike01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014   #2
Multimedia NYM

Cool Re: New NY emission testing

They just can not leave it alone. Some states do not even do emissions tests.
Old 02-06-2014   #3

Liked: 18 times
Charged5.0's Pictures
Charged5.0's latest status update: Happy new year. Keep it rubber side down
Default Re: New NY emission testing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROUSH 4 View Post
They just can not leave it alone. Some states do not even do emissions tests.
When I lived in Florida they didn't even do inspections let alone emissions ..

I'm stuck in NY via a divorce decree for about 6 more yrs and then were the hell out of here.

Our founding fathers would be shooting by now ! But since were a country of fat and complacent imbeciles , the ride isn't gonna get any better only worse!

Last edited by Charged5.0; 02-06-2014 at 07:20 AM.
Charged5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014   #4

This is why I kept mine turned on in the tune and spaced out the rear sensors. Not that I would run catless... but I did remove the heated from resonators.
Old 02-06-2014   #5
MOTM Coodinator

Liked: 499 times
MikeRadMan's Pictures MikeRadMan's Garage
MikeRadMan's latest status update: Buffalo Motorama is this weekend!

That's why I am sticking to my 1970 Mach 1! Grandfathered in Right?
Old 02-06-2014   #6

Liked: 105 times
BLWNMACH1's Pictures

Talk to Joe at Mustang Magic, he should be able to help...
Old 02-06-2014   #7

Liked: 488 times
AdirondackFox08's Pictures AdirondackFox08's Garage
AdirondackFox08's latest status update: Woohoo! Kevin Harvick and the #4 team won the race and the championship!!! What a great...

What is this bs? Some searching on google said there is a new cat converter law in effect. That the cat converters have to be CARB approved for obd2 vehicles. I haven't heard anything about failing a car for having the o2s turned off. Can they see that with a reader? I think some tunes turn off the o2s, but somehow still send a signal saying they are working.... I don't know, I would be more interested to hear about this new law. Or is it for NYC emissions testing?
AdirondackFox08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014   #8

BLWNMACH1's Pictures

Yes New York State DMV has upgraded the program on emission testing. Many cars have failed. There is a way to get them to pass. If you are having a problem I strongly suggest calling Joe at Mustang Magic...
Old 02-07-2014   #9

my car is moded to run a stock tune. So I could not do that.

Yep every year I think I should of just built a 67 and I would have no problems.

I think they turn them off but they trick the ecu into saying it's running fine or some thing. that's what I think this new one looks for. I found this on the nys dmv site. I did not see that about the cats

I did not try yep, my cars up in april, I just wanted to know if it's a real problem and if I'm going to have one.

I'll call him and talk to him about it.

thanks
01 laser red GT, custom built 03 cobra motor, ported heads with racing valve job, stage 4 eaton 18.5psi, plus all bolt ons, 6sp tremeic trany, b&m ripper 3:73 gear, only 504rwhp and 538rwqu Need a Whipple
Old 02-07-2014   #10

Liked: 488 times
AdirondackFox08's Pictures AdirondackFox08's Garage
AdirondackFox08's latest status update: Woohoo! Kevin Harvick and the #4 team won the race and the championship!!! What a great...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangmike01 View Post
I just hard they changed all the emission testing machines in NYS on dec 1, 2013 and there a lot smarter. If you have anything turned off you will get a NA and fail. Normally if you do not have a check engine light on and drive 200 miles you're going to pass.

I just got my sti inspected and it passed fine, even though the rear o2 is off do to no cat. But I just got a new tune in November with the latest Cobb updates.

My problems is I'm worried about my mustang. It has the sct2 and tuned by Chrissk 3 years ago with rear o2s off and he turned off the fuel float talking to the ecu, do to a check engine light on do to there not talking right to one another.

Can I get any updates from SCT myself that will not mess up Chris's specs or do I have to get the car retuned by somebody?

Has anybody heard of the new testing and has more info on it or have gone through it yet, with an old tune?

thanks guys
So your STi passed the new emission testing even though the rear o2s were turned off? It sounds like there might be a way around that issue then. What year is it?

Yeah you can go to a mustang shop like mentioned and see if you need something different with your tune.

Let us know how you make out when you do get it inspected though.

My mustang will be fine since its older, but I was thinking about getting my cobalt ss tuned and get rid of the o2 code since I have an aftermarket down pipe with a spun metal cat. Might have to put that stock dp back in for inspection, ugh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLWNMACH1 View Post
Yes New York State DMV has upgraded the program on emission testing. Many cars have failed. There is a way to get them to pass. If you are having a problem I strongly suggest calling Joe at Mustang Magic...
Do you know why they failed, or a link for the new law?
AdirondackFox08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014   #11

BLWNMACH1's Pictures

My inspection is not up until October, but I have heard from other people that have had an older tune, no cats and a few other issues they have failed. I believe if you call Joe at Mustang Magic they will be able to help out...
Old 02-07-2014   #12
Super Moderator

Liked: 1129 times
ford20's Pictures ford20's Garage
ford20's latest status update: 6 more days until a GT350 is revealed. There is so much want for that car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdirondackFox08 View Post
What is this bs? Some searching on google said there is a new cat converter law in effect. That the cat converters have to be CARB approved for obd2 vehicles. I haven't heard anything about failing a car for having the o2s turned off. Can they see that with a reader? I think some tunes turn off the o2s, but somehow still send a signal saying they are working.... I don't know, I would be more interested to hear about this new law. Or is it for NYC emissions testing?
I heard that too. I hope that is not the case though, I would hate to have to buy Green Cats for the Long Tubes I have and only keep them around just for the purpose of passing emissions.

ford20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014   #13

[QUOTE=AdirondackFox08;537546]So your STi passed the new emission testing even though the rear o2s were turned off? It sounds like there might be a way around that issue then. What year is it?

Yeah you can go to a mustang shop like mentioned and see if you need something different with your tune.

Let us know how you make out when you do get it inspected though.

My mustang will be fine since its older, but I was thinking about getting my cobalt ss tuned and get rid of the o2 code since I have an aftermarket down pipe with a spun metal cat. Might have to put that stock dp back in for inspection, ugh.

I talked to my tuner on the sti, he had no idea they change anything and he told me cobb as no updates for those things, no tune software dose.

My rear o2 is off and it did pass and what I read on the dmvs website says if a place wants to do inspection on cars after dec 3, 2013 they need this new machine. So, I figure the place I used had it.

My sti has ever bolt on mod you can get, plus a built motor, cam and so on with a stock turbo and it passed. It's an 06. She was running on the 93 oct tune also, not e85.

I'm thinking I'll just go and see what happens. I'm still running my oem egr valve too, plus I hope this new machine is not to smart to the fact that my car is an 01 gt that's what they scan on the door and the car is but the ecu and whole drive train is a 03 cobra.

I did not hear about that with the cats!!

They guys that are failing what tunes do they have? just off the shelf tunes or custom tunes and what tuners/handhelds are these using?
Old 02-09-2014   #14

Liked: 122 times
mustangted's Pictures
mustangted's latest status update: not sure why I brother coming here, 99 prevent of posts have norhing to do with mustanfs

MY 06 FAILED 2 yrs ago until I turned rear 02s back on
mustangted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014   #15

The way it worked the last time I checked (2012), the NYSVIP computer would scan the car via OBD2. Any faults that trip the CEL would cause a failure, and the car was only allowed 2 systems to read "Not Ready." 3 or more and it would fail. Turning off the rear o2's causes a not ready, unless there is a way to force readiness in the tune. If you have EGR, rear o2 and one other system coded off, then you will fail for 3 systems reporting not ready. Or if you have 2 coded off and one system not reporting ready that should.

Of course, there is a way around that... but it is very hard to get a tech or shop to do it, and you will be properly ****ed the next year unless you get the computer to become passable.