New York Mustang Club

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Moomanerism2

Old 01-26-2015   #1

Liked: 2 times
Moomanerism2's Pictures
Default LED "Switchback" White/Yellow Headlight Mod

Hey guys, this is my first post here. I just wanted to share my experience with my LED switchback lights. I wanted to add a little flair to my current headlights without trying a projector retrofit or cracking open the headlights to add a little bit of flavor to them.

LED "switchbacks" seemed to be right up my alley. The specific pair I got were advertised as 20" long but they came about 14" long. Not a big deal, but they do only have leads on one end. They're waterproof and have 3M adhesive on the back. It's important to note these are also "sideshine" LEDs as normally LEDs are pointed straight up, these are pointed to one side, making them best suited for stuffing into cracks, or in my application, under the headlights.

I don't have a DRL module in my 2000 V6 mustang, and actually I couldn't even find a plug for one either. I grabbed the amp turn on lead from my head unit to push a 12v relay to flip on the lights. Kind of short-sighted on my point, they remain on when the radio is on and the car is off which is pretty crappy for a place like the drive in.

I made the mistake of not taking into consideration that the switchback control circuits don't have any LEDs in them. You'll see that the driver's side has a bit of a gap before the LED portion starts in comparison to the passenger's side.

The actual "switchback" funtion works like this: If there is voltage present for the whites, then the strip is powered. The instant the turn signal powers on, the whites shut off and the yellows blink with the bulb, albeit the incandescent bulb seems to lag behind the LEDs buy a faction of a second due to the filament heating and cooling. After sensing the turn signal lead is dead for more than 5 seconds, the whites come back on. There seems to be a slight bug with mine, if I initially power a strip with the turn signal on, the yellows stay on the entire time until they are powered off again.

At any rate, pictures should probably help. Sorry, I don't have a high end camera, but they are pretty representative of the real life results.
Attached Thumbnails
LED "Switchback" White/Yellow Headlight Mod-img_20140604_212003.jpg   LED "Switchback" White/Yellow Headlight Mod-img_20140604_212012.jpg   LED "Switchback" White/Yellow Headlight Mod-img_20140604_212034.jpg   LED "Switchback" White/Yellow Headlight Mod-img_20140604_212053.jpg  
Moomanerism2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015   #2

Liked: 505 times
jricky917's Pictures jricky917's Garage
jricky917's latest status update: May 3rd for boost...
Default Re: LED "Switchback" White/Yellow Headlight Mod

welcome... think I saw this on FB maybe? lol.. I just did the turn signal bulb switchbacks but these are sweet, nice work?
Old 01-26-2015   #3

Liked: 1019 times
NYM Trader: 8
On Edge's latest status update: Happy New Year everyone !! It's going to be a great year !!

welcome, thanks for the nice write up / explanation. Those LED's sure look nice and bright and white. Where did you buy them from?
Old 01-29-2015   #4

Moomanerism2's Pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by On Edge View Post
welcome, thanks for the nice write up / explanation. Those LED's sure look nice and bright and white. Where did you buy them from?
Thanks, I got them from eBay. I help a friend of mine attach a pair of white only lights to his headlights. Shipping took about 3 weeks but I ordered them last winter when my car was put away. Even though these have yellow sandwiched in between the white LEDs, they are closer together than my buddies pair and look more like a single light than his from a closer distance. I'm pretty happy with how they turned out.

Now to add some footwell lighting or maybe some welcome lights in the bottom of the door.
Old 01-29-2015   #5

On Edge's latest status update: Happy New Year everyone !! It's going to be a great year !!

was bored last winter, so I added LED lights on my hood to shine on my engine. In my front bumper as it's open. Footwell lights. And pony projector door lights.I did it in an amber color, to go with my yellow themed car. It's nice, but it doesn't pop like a red or blue LED would have. my wife laughed at me the whole time I was doing it, because she said I hardly drive my car at night. Which is true. Lol.
Old 01-29-2015   #6

Moomanerism2's Pictures

Quote:
was bored last winter, so I added LED lights on my hood to shine on my engine. In my front bumper as it's open. Footwell lights. And pony projector door lights.I did it in an amber color, to go with my yellow themed car. It's nice, but it doesn't pop like a red or blue LED would have. my wife laughed at me the whole time I was doing it, because she said I hardly drive my car at night. Which is true. Lol.
I've thought about those projectors with the mustang logo when you open your doors. Did you like those?

Everything you did looks really tied together. I like it a lot. What wire did you tap when adding the footwell lighting?
On Edge likes this.
Old 01-29-2015   #7

I do like the door projectors. They are different.
I bought $30 ones from eBay. Just in case I didn't like them, it wouldn't be a big loss of $.
There are more expensive ones, $100, but I don't know what the difference is.
I brought in a master feed wire from my battery to a master switch.
Then all my lights have their own switch zones, so I could operate them independently.
The switches are little toggle switches on the plastic cover below the steering wheel.
Old 01-29-2015   #8

I bought $30 ones from eBay. Just in case I didn't like them, it wouldn't be a big loss of $.
Then all my lights have their own switch zones, so I could operate them independently.
The switches are little toggle switches on the plastic cover below the steering wheel.
Old 01-30-2015   #9

Moomanerism2's Pictures

Quote:
Thanks for your input, the toggle switches are a good idea. Whoever had my car before me had some toggle switches for a neon license plate cover that has since been removed and what looks like neon for footwell lighting with a rat's nest of wires. Between rewiring each speaker independently, wire for amps, and trying to figure out how to remove the remote start module without killing my car, toggle switches may be the way to go.