New York Mustang Club

Old 08-31-2010   #1

Liked: 49 times
CSKoz's Pictures CSKoz's Garage
CSKoz's latest status update: Warrior Dash 2012 at Windham was brutal! Did the course twice and had a blast!
Default GT/CS Clunking

So I just picked up a 2007 GT/CS and have heard some clunking that seems to be coming from the suspension, sometimes front and sometimes back. Only has 23k miles, so I figure the car should be okay. Could not find anything loose.

I have done some research and it seems it falls under the category of "Almost all of them do it."

I just wanted some opinions on whether or not I should pursue a "fix". I could live with the noise if I knew nothing was going to fall apart while hitting a ton on the parkway.

So, is this as I said, and nothing to worry about? Or should I take it to the dealer and complain. Mostly just worried about safety. Sorry for the noob question, but just getting used to the car. Thanks!
CSKoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010   #2
Senior Advisor

Liked: 68 times
matt07gt's Pictures
matt07gt's latest status update: bummed....
Default Re: GT/CS Clunking

Get used to the clunking....its a Mustang . Is the suspension stock?
matt07gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010   #3

CSKoz's latest status update: Warrior Dash 2012 at Windham was brutal! Did the course twice and had a blast!

Yeah whole car is totally bone stock. I figured something along those lines, but nice to have some confirmation. The radio is louder.
Old 11-14-2010   #4

Liked: 1 times
irving basin's latest status update: does anyone know if I can make a non heated front seat into a heated front seat?

I read in a mustang mag that ford issued a tsb for that problem, the number of the tsb is tsb 07-18-2 that will fix the clunking problem. In case ford says they know nothing about that tsb,i have it in writing. Any further information needed, let me know. Southern stang.
irving basin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010   #5

Liked: 40 times
jewele's Pictures jewele's Garage
jewele's latest status update: My 4 wheel Dr. Stang. Made it home in the snow Wensday night in the snow. 30 mins turned...

Dam I have the same problem. My car has been clunking for around 6 months. I was told it is coming from my front strut. Not life threatening but is realy annoying. Its on my passenger side. Ill get it fixed eventually. what is a tsb? can you pass that infor to me. Id like to get that fixed.
jewele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010   #6

TSB is a Technical Service Bulletin put out by manufacturers to fix problems that are not severe enough to be recalls. Or something like that. I have a copy of the TSB, but not digitally. If someone can it to you, take it to the dealer and see what they say. Good luck.

#5,055 of 5,915 2007 GT/CS Coupes Built
#1,109 of 1,305 Coupes in Performance White

The original point and click interface was a Colt .45
Old 11-15-2010   #7

Here is a list of TSBs I found. Look down for 07-18-2, that should be it. And anything else that catches your ear.

S197 Ford Mustang Technical Service Bulletins | StangNet

Old 11-16-2010   #8

Liked: 40 times
jewele's Pictures jewele's Garage
jewele's latest status update: My 4 wheel Dr. Stang. Made it home in the snow Wensday night in the snow. 30 mins turned...

Thanks very informative!!!
jewele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010   #9

Glad it is useful. I still have not gone it to the dealer with it, as it is mildly annoying but not dangerous. Let us know how you do.

Old 01-09-2011   #10

Liked: 106 times
breatle62's Pictures breatle62's Garage
breatle62's latest status update: Cant Wait Till April Too Race.......

My 08 CS dont clunk yet...But shes only got 10k on her...but ill keep this in mind...
breatle62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011   #11
Super Moderator / Member Plus / Formally Wicked Xtreme

Liked: 812 times
NYM Trader: 3
Wicked One's Pictures Wicked One's Garage
Wicked One's latest status update: Make sure brain is engaged before putting mouth into gear!!

That clunking is coming from the strut mount or control arm. I had the same problem and the dealer replaced them both. No more clunking.

Remeber. A tsb is different than a recall. They can charge you for a tsb if you are out of warantee.
Wicked One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011   #12

Thanks, yeah I am out of waranty. I might pick the parts up sometime and do it myself. See how involved it is. Might upgrade something at the same time, not sure right now.