New York Mustang Club

Old 12-09-2011   #1

Liked: 70 times
Limited40th2004's Pictures
Limited40th2004's latest status update: Great Weather Today for the Mustang Club of Orange County Cruise-In a Auto Zone on Route...
Default Frozen Caliper..Please help.

Hi everyone,

Had to have my 2004 GT towed to a shop this evening because my left front drivers side caliper froze so bad that it was glowing red hot and smoking when I had a safe place to pull off the road. I have heard of various causes...bad fluid, bad master cylinder, bad brake lines, etc. Any one out there who has ever experienced this? Things to know...

Car currently has just over 55K.
Had all rotors and pads changed at 53K.at the shop where I just left it.
Weather was dry, car was warm, had been fine all day long, and noticed something wrong only on this last trip of the day.

Should I ask for new rotors? This one is really badly, well, scraped, all the other ones are fine, so I know the problem was just this one wheel.

Appreciate all tips and advice you can give. Currently this is my only car.

Chuck

Please help, any and all input is welcome.
Old 12-10-2011   #2
Northern NY Regional Coordinator

Liked: 284 times
NYM Trader: 3
TBapp3's Pictures TBapp3's Garage
TBapp3's latest status update: Hello nym long time!
Default Re: Frozen Caliper..Please help.

Hey chuck, I have a 00 gt and just had similar probes withine.... Just had brakes done then that... I swapped out both front calipers iv heard it to be a known thing that happens... New calipers r only 50 bucks after your core charge at aa napa and those type of places Hoe this helps Todd
Posted via NYM Mobile
TBapp3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011   #3

Limited40th2004's latest status update: Great Weather Today for the Mustang Club of Orange County Cruise-In a Auto Zone on Route...
Question Re: Frozen Caliper..Please help.

Thanks, it does help that I know that this has happened to someone else. In your case, did you have the rotor replaced/resurfaced? Did you ever find out why it happened, or was it just the bad caliper?

Chuck
Old 12-10-2011   #4

Liked: 1086 times
92BIGREDBEAST's Pictures 92BIGREDBEAST's Garage
92BIGREDBEAST's latest status update: mustang is getting a tune on Saturday. Gonna be sick!

HEy Chuck

This is a problem that happened to many. Over the year break dust and road dirt and rust build up on the piston and seals on the calipers causing them to lock up. If you heated up the rotor that bad it is likely you may need it turned down and checked for warpage. Get a new $50 caliper and pads and put it back together and take it for a ride. If you have a shimmy when you apply the brakes you will need to replace the rotor as well. GL - Gene
Old 12-10-2011   #5

Gene,

I suspect that the rotor will have to be changed, as it was really badly grooved upon visual inspection (after it wasn't red anymore) I will know soon enough. What bothered me was that these were new pads and rotors..so I hope that it isn't a system problem with the fluid or brake line. All the other wheels were fine.

Thanks!

Chuck
Old 12-10-2011   #6

Liked: 61 times
ProjectPatsGarage's Pictures ProjectPatsGarage's Garage

I would check to see if the piston is ceramic. often times techs will get into a rush and force the piston back into the caliper to quickly or off centered which can cause the piston to crack if it is ceramic. This will cause the caliper to seize over time. If the rotor is torn up you can check it with a micrometer to see if there is enough material there to turn the rotor down but your better off just buying a new one at the 45 dollar+ cost to turn a rotor. The caliper is def bad so replace that the pads and rotors on that wheel. I don't know that I would spend the money to do both calipers but it might not be a bad idea.

1973 Mach 1 351 "The original eleanor"
1979 Pace Car v8 4spd
ProjectPatsGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011   #7

Liked: 415 times
NYM Trader: 1
NYstang's Pictures NYstang's Garage
NYstang's latest status update: Anybody know of a decent trans shop?­ Trying to figure out if I should pay for a...

Common problem for this to happen- both of mine seized up around 60k.

good time to upgrade to 13" front brakes!
NYstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011   #8
Northern NY Regional Coordinator

Liked: 284 times
NYM Trader: 3
TBapp3's Pictures TBapp3's Garage
TBapp3's latest status update: Hello nym long time!

^yup I still wish I did! I noticed mine locking up befor any other damage but it was the piston being sized up
Posted via NYM Mobile
TBapp3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011   #9

Liked: 7 times
CaptainChaos's Pictures
CaptainChaos's latest status update: Unloading my 04 GT, ad is in the classified section

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectPatsGarage View Post
I would check to see if the piston is ceramic. often times techs will get into a rush and force the piston back into the caliper to quickly or off centered which can cause the piston to crack if it is ceramic. This will cause the caliper to seize over time. If the rotor is torn up you can check it with a micrometer to see if there is enough material there to turn the rotor down but your better off just buying a new one at the 45 dollar+ cost to turn a rotor. The caliper is def bad so replace that the pads and rotors on that wheel. I don't know that I would spend the money to do both calipers but it might not be a bad idea.
This. Caliper aside, I was always taught that you do pads/rotors together.
CaptainChaos is offline   Reply With Quote