• 1 Post By Baz
  • 1 Post By superbender
  • 1 Post By Noterminator
  • 1 Post By On Edge

Old 05-06-2013   #1

Liked: 15 times
Cuznlou727's Pictures Cuznlou727's Garage
Default Caliper covers!

Anyone ever get those MGP Caliper covers? are they junk? or should I just save the $200 bucks towards future brake mods? Maybe after I sell a chunk of my liver.
Cuznlou727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013   #2
Formally SuprSloBlkNotch89

Liked: 1070 times
NYM Trader: 3
Noterminator's Garage
Noterminator's latest status update: Any clean Fox body's out there for sale?­ Looking for an 83-86 GT, or 87-93 LX...
Default Re: Caliper covers!

Just save for new brakes. Covers are pointless to be honest.
VTUSKOLA likes this.

JOIN US FORD FANS https://www.facebook.com/groups/fordlincolnmercuryloversunited/
Noterminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013   #3

Liked: 66 times
NYM Trader: 1
stangman281v8's latest status update: FS: 1997 Mustang GT. PM Me for details

agreed^^
stangman281v8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013   #4

Noterminator's Garage
Noterminator's latest status update: Any clean Fox body's out there for sale?­ Looking for an 83-86 GT, or 87-93 LX...

Aren't most of the covers made of a abs plastic anyway? I'm pretty sure over time they'd melt too if they get hot enough, and they could also possibly cause your brakes to go faster as you'd be blocking some of the heat dissipation, keeping it trapped so to speak.

JOIN US FORD FANS https://www.facebook.com/groups/fordlincolnmercuryloversunited/
Old 05-06-2013   #5
Baz

Liked: 200 times
Baz's Pictures Baz's Garage
Baz's latest status update: Ford's shitty build quality really testing my nerves...

I ordered them last year when they where on sale on AM.com, I just put them on Sunday since I got new wheels.

I've run into a few problems with them so far though. First off, they say its "10" Minutes to install, well yes and no. The instructions are ok but actually leave out some crucial details. I did the rears first, what I can say is the cover themselves are really nice, great quality and finish, but the rear clips look extremely cheap. The problem is rather then a single piece well made clip, the stud is actually welded to the clip and the weld leaves a pretty large seam which pushes on the caliper making the clip uneven, sure you need a tad more effort to get the cover on but for something $200 I expected better quality clip. Then there's a different fiasco with the front covers, what looked like a straight forward breeze got me and my dad stumped for a good few minutes. We finally figured out that there are 2 pairs of clips with opposing fitment, one for the upper stud, one for the lower, sure not a big deal wish it would of said something in the instructions though. Even after checking and verifying all the clearances I've run into a squealing issue, but not exactly sure if its the covers or the new wheels, I'm unfortunately going to have to jack the car and see which wheel is making the noise figure out whats happening.

I'm really hoping to get that issue fixed because, yes they look fantastic. I've shown a picture to they saw the covers just look awesome. So if you don't mind taking time and patience to get these one I highly recommend them, maybe you'll get lucky on your first try lol.

My advice is YouTube their video installing the covers on a 2011, he does both front and rear.
Also, clean the calipers and brakes, I'm probably gonna do this anyway but it'll clear up the brake dust to increase clearances.
Also, I know I mentioned the rear clips look cheap, but atleast you cant see them on the finished product.

Hope my experience helped, I know it sounds negative but this is just my experience and there just seems to be a decent mix of reviews on AM.com of those who encountered problems and those who say they had no issue at all.
Cuznlou727 likes this.

2007 Mustang V6 Pony Pkg Auto - FRPP CAI, AirAid Throttlebody Spacer, Raxiom 2013 style LED Taillights, 18" wheels GT500, MAC Ceramic shorty Headers, Pypes mid-muffler dual, Auburn 7.5 LSD, Steeda springs Struts PanHardbar upper/lower rear control arms, GT500 Shock mount & Front Control arms.
Baz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013   #6
Baz

Baz's latest status update: Ford's shitty build quality really testing my nerves...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuprSloBlkNotch89 View Post
Aren't most of the covers made of a abs plastic anyway? I'm pretty sure over time they'd melt too if they get hot enough, and they could also possibly cause your brakes to go faster as you'd be blocking some of the heat dissipation, keeping it trapped so to speak.
The MGPs are actually lightweight High strength aluminum, your brakes will need to hit over 800F to get these to even start melting. but a great property of aluminum is the ability to absorbed and disperse heat almost instanteniously, so in a way these work as a break heat extractor. But primarily these are for aesthetics.

2007 Mustang V6 Pony Pkg Auto - FRPP CAI, AirAid Throttlebody Spacer, Raxiom 2013 style LED Taillights, 18" wheels GT500, MAC Ceramic shorty Headers, Pypes mid-muffler dual, Auburn 7.5 LSD, Steeda springs Struts PanHardbar upper/lower rear control arms, GT500 Shock mount & Front Control arms.
Old 05-07-2013   #7

Noterminator's Garage

Ah ok. Because some I've seen are just some time of plastic. Still not sure that I personally would spend that kind of money on covers, but to each their own. Mine thankfully don't need them anyway as it has nice calipers.

Old 05-07-2013   #8
Baz

I wouldn't use them on aftermarket systems like BREMBO or Wilwoods, those already have nice calipers, but those go for $1000 and more. So for anyone not looking to drop that much just for looks its great, but maybe add in slotted rotors and performance pads at under $1000 you'll have better then stock performance but not better then BREMBO.Personally I might actually go for that Ford V6 brake upgrade which basically is the GT rotor conversion, for about 170 that isn't bad.
Cuznlou727 likes this.

Old 05-07-2013   #9

Noterminator's Garage

No that's not bad. And yea they do cost more for sure. But as stated mine already look nice anyway. I'll post a pic. Its not the greatest though as I need new wheels lol.

Old 05-07-2013   #10

Noterminator's Garage

Old 05-07-2013   #11

Liked: 1023 times
superbender's Pictures superbender's Garage
superbender's latest status update: Sayville Ford show was great

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuznlou727 View Post
Maybe after I sell a chunk of my liver.
How much do they get for a partial liver,mines in good shape and I need new drag radials
Cuznlou727 likes this.

superbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013   #12

Noterminator's Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by superbender View Post
How much do they get for a partial liver,mines in good shape and I need new drag radials
I'm not sure, but I think an arm is like $50,000 lol.
Cuznlou727 likes this.

Old 05-17-2013   #13
Baz

Hey quick update, So I narrowed down where the scrapping was happening, it was one of the clips scraping the rotor, ironically the first clip me and my dad installed. But we took the clips off, and he just filed the end of the clips down a tad and bent the end inward a bit. I used my old HS 6" steel scale to test for gap and came out perfect. Bright side is at least one of my rotors has the rust cleaned off lol. But yes now they do feel like they are worth $200. So ya, if anything, mind the gap as they say.

Old 05-17-2013   #14

Liked: 1019 times
NYM Trader: 8
On Edge's latest status update: Happy New Year everyone !! It's going to be a great year !!

i have them and like them, and havent had any problems with them.
could quality and they look pretty good, too.
as far as a waste of money....anything you do or change could be considered a waste of money.

my wife thinks my car sitting in the garage all shiny is a waste of money
Cuznlou727 likes this.
On Edge is offline   Reply With Quote