New York Mustang Club

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By cage

Old 05-16-2016   #1

Liked: 5 times
Crystal's Pictures
Crystal's latest status update: Looking to put the cobra nose and custom hood on my gt anyone having any issues doing...
Default Best aftermarket clutch??

Need a throw out bearing so was told to get a whole clutch kit .. Any opinions?
Crystal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016   #2
Capital District Coordinator / Super Moderator

Liked: 1896 times
NYM Trader: 15
Timspony's Pictures
Timspony's latest status update: I'm seeing sun and 70 starting this coming Sunday :)
Default Re: Best aftermarket clutch??

A lot depends on the power level....under 600 rwhp I'd go with a Centerforce Dual Friction clutch...and get a FRPP TOB

2003 DSG SVT Cobra Mustang - TVS SC | 754 rwhp 701 rwtq | 10.4 at 138.0 mph
2015 Mustang GT | PP | Recaro seats | Competition Orange | Delivered 1/9/2015
1988 Mustang LX | 5.0 | H/C/I | 4.10's... | Cabernet Red
Timspony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016   #3
Western NY Co-Coordinator

Liked: 1149 times
NYM Trader: 4
redlawyers's Pictures
redlawyers's latest status update: Still trolling the forums... :naughty:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timspony View Post
A lot depends on the power level....get a FRPP TOB
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS

redlawyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016   #4

Crystal's Pictures
Crystal's latest status update: Looking to put the cobra nose and custom hood on my gt anyone having any issues doing...

Is it Ford racing performance throw out bearing ?? Definitely under 600 horse just a Gt with very few performance mods ..
Old 05-17-2016   #5
Capital District Coordinator / Super Moderator

Liked: 1896 times
NYM Trader: 15
Timspony's Pictures
Timspony's latest status update: I'm seeing sun and 70 starting this coming Sunday :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal View Post
Is it Ford racing performance throw out bearing ?? Definitely under 600 horse just a Gt with very few performance mods ..
Refer to my post #2 then....Yes, Ford Racing Performance Parts (FRPP) throw out bearing (TOB)

2003 DSG SVT Cobra Mustang - TVS SC | 754 rwhp 701 rwtq | 10.4 at 138.0 mph
2015 Mustang GT | PP | Recaro seats | Competition Orange | Delivered 1/9/2015
1988 Mustang LX | 5.0 | H/C/I | 4.10's... | Cabernet Red
Timspony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016   #6

Crystal's Pictures
Smile Re: Best aftermarket clutch??

Many thanks for the advice !!
Old 05-18-2016   #7

Liked: 121 times
NYM Trader: 2
IrishBullitt7's Pictures IrishBullitt7's Garage
IrishBullitt7's latest status update: Steve McQueen ... nothing else to say

Definitely , I didn't switch TOB when I did new clutch and then had to put one in later, I have an 01, part numbers were m-7600-b Pilot bearing, m-7515-A Clutch lever, and M-7548-A Clutch release bearing. fordracingparts123.com

"The only thing you deserve...is what you earn" Tom Brands, Iowa

"Once you have wrestled... everything else in life is easy". Dan Gable, Olympic Champion
IrishBullitt7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016   #8

Liked: 879 times
wakester06v6's Pictures wakester06v6's Garage
wakester06v6's latest status update: Is at the Charcoal Corral for Cruise-In

I bought a Valeo Kit from Stockwiseauto.com and had to send it back because the Slave Cylinder/TOB was the wrong one. I just received a LUK kit that I got from Rockauto.com, to replace it. All the right parts this time. It came complete with flywheel, friction plate, slave cylinder/tob, pinion bearing, alignment tool, etc. Quality looks to be excellent. Reviews throughout the I-net are very positive.

Hope that helps.

Member: Yellow Mustang Registry
Member: Mustang 6 Association (M6A)
wakester06v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016   #9

Crystal's Pictures

Thanks everyone
Old 05-24-2016   #10

Liked: 52 times
cage's Pictures cage's Garage
cage's latest status update: Happy 4th, everyone! https://­www.youtube.com/­watch?­v=2K-s57j9a_k

I hate the throw out bearing in our cars. Mine squeaks like a son of a bitch at idle and anything below 2k in the lower gears. Clutch is only at 78k and feels the same as it did 3 years ago though so I dont think its worth replacing the TOB when my clutch is okay.

At stop lights I just keep the clutch depressed about an inch and it stops the noise. If it shortens the life of the clutch Im okay with it since that means I can replace parts sooner.
cage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016   #11

redlawyers's Pictures

When the TOB starts to go, get a new clutch kit. Saves heartache when you have to take your transmission out. Everything inside will be fresh and nothing is done half-a**

Old 05-24-2016   #12

cage's latest status update: Happy 4th, everyone! https://­www.youtube.com/­watch?­v=2K-s57j9a_k

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlawyers View Post
When the TOB starts to go, get a new clutch kit. Saves heartache when you have to take your transmission out. Everything inside will be fresh and nothing is done half-a**
Are you talking to me specifically? The centerforce clutch plus a ford racing TOB comes to a little over $400, and then how much for a shop to install the clutch? I never inquired but I thought it was somewhere about $1000 for clutch replacement.

So you're saying I should spend well over $1000 to save heartache because my TOB is squeaky? Not trying to sound rude, I dont know much about transmissions. Is there something else that might break if I just continue driving with it as is?
Old 05-24-2016   #13

redlawyers's Pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by cage View Post
Are you talking to me specifically? The centerforce clutch plus a ford racing TOB comes to a little over $400, and then how much for a shop to install the clutch? I never inquired but I thought it was somewhere about $1000 for clutch replacement.

So you're saying I should spend well over $1000 to save heartache because my TOB is squeaky? Not trying to sound rude, I dont know much about transmissions. Is there something else that might break if I just continue driving with it as is?
I'm writing to you indirectly, you should be aware that after time, the TOB "could" cause more issues. Also, I'm not recommending you spend $1000 for the complete install, but typically that's how much it costs nowadays...unless you do it yourself.

It's a catch-twenty-two because if you leave the TOB alone, you could be fine and drive your car another season, or something happens and it goes...then you're stuck. A squeaky TOB could also indicate a worn clutch fork. There could be other issues deeper still. Good luck with whatever you end up doing.

My clutch had some miles on it, and when my TOB started to make noises, I purchased every part to make things brand new in there. I had the T45 transmission if that matters.

Old 05-25-2016   #14

Thanks for all the helpful info!

I'll probably get it checked out next season, as my car still has relatively low miles.
redlawyers likes this.