New York Mustang Club

New York Mustangs - Forums » Mustang Specific Tech » V6 Mustangs » Basic Alignment and Your Car

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By aidenshep
  • 1 Post By ROUSH 4
  • 1 Post By aidenshep
  • 1 Post By wakester06v6

Old 03-16-2017   #1

Liked: 38 times
aidenshep's Pictures
aidenshep's latest status update: HI Everybody I have to questions I would like feedback on 1 how many mods do you think...
Default Basic Alignment and Your Car

Hi Guy's
last year i wrote a basic engine theory article. After receiving alot of positive feed back on this subject i thought i would write a basic overview on front and rear alignment.
You should have a basic understanding of everything that goes into a front end alignment. The three elements are Caster, Camber and Toe in or Toe out. Ford does a decent job of making our mustangs ride and handle in a very predictable manner .
We know what to except when we race around and drive our mustangs hard. Then we are bombarded with lowering our mustangs and installing lowering springs stiffer sway bars high performance shocks and changing rear differential controll arms etc.
All of this sounds good and you can do all of the above Mods and improve the look ,ride and handling of our cars.
Now the draw backs that you do not think about all of the time. By doing these things we greatly alter the front alignment and rear alignment of our car. The front alignment will go out of spec and the rear end will actually shift out of center. Now the handling becomes unpredictable and in some cases very dangerous. Often we do not find this out until our cars wind up in a ditch somewhere.
The fix to these problems the cures are pretty easy when you know what to do. To make the front end go back to spec you should install caster - camber plates these go on top of the upper strut mount. This will make the front end adjustable back to factory specs. In the rear you will need a adjustable panhand rod. This will center the rear axle back to center so your car tracks straight. The sway bars that come stock on our mustangs do a decent job. It is possible to make your suspension to stiff as the mustang is a unibody and has no dedicated frame. The easiest way to achieve all of this (providing you win the lottery) is to buy a Shelby or GT 500 as these cars have all of the these goodies stock from the factory..Thanks for taking the time to read this
Aidenshep
ROUSH 4 likes this.
aidenshep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017   #2
Multimedia NYM

Cool Re: Basic Alignment and Your Car

Very informative....................
Old 03-19-2017   #3

Liked: 852 times
wakester06v6's Pictures wakester06v6's Garage
wakester06v6's latest status update: Not seeing a lot of Mustangs in Wisconsin. And most of those seem to be bone stock. I may...
Default Re: Basic Alignment and Your Car

Really good information here. I was actually planning on replacing shocks, springs, panhard bar, anti-sway bars and bushings, this year. My question though, is this; will a camber bolt work as well as caster/camber plates?

Member: Yellow Mustang Registry
Member: Mustang 6 Association (M6A)
wakester06v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017   #4
Multimedia NYM

Cool Re: Basic Alignment and Your Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakester06v6 View Post
Really good information here. I was actually planning on replacing shocks, springs, panhard bar, anti-sway bars and bushings, this year. My question though, is this; will a camber bolt work as well as caster/camber plates?
I used camber bolts on both of my lowered S197's. Inexpensive & did the job nicely.
wakester06v6 likes this.
Old 04-08-2017   #5

Liked: 38 times
aidenshep's Pictures
aidenshep's latest status update: HI Everybody I have to questions I would like feedback on 1 how many mods do you think...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakester06v6 View Post
The best way to make the front end truly adjustable is with the camber/caster plates. The bolt from progressive is a good compromise Aidenshep
wakester06v6 likes this.
aidenshep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017   #6

Liked: 852 times
wakester06v6's Pictures wakester06v6's Garage
wakester06v6's latest status update: Not seeing a lot of Mustangs in Wisconsin. And most of those seem to be bone stock. I may...

Finished my rear suspension work last week, (lower control arms, lowering springs, shocks, adjustable pan-hard bar) Rear alignment was completed this weekend. Rear alignment was easy to complete with a tape measure, and a 4 foot level. Once I knew the amount the left / right distance was off, it just took a few turns of the pan hard bar to re center it. A quick recheck to make sure it was centered, then tightened the locking nuts on the pan-hard bar. I don't think it took more than 10 minutes start to finish.
Daddio likes this.

Member: Yellow Mustang Registry
Member: Mustang 6 Association (M6A)
wakester06v6 is offline   Reply With Quote